Monday, February 16, 2009

Rant, Realization, and Recipe


I did something concerning cookies/security, whatever, this morning, and the computer freaked out, would not let me open anything, and after 3 hours of fiddling with it, (mind you, I really have no educated ability in this way, just a little experience and basic "try this" skill level.)I think I have it working again...I even mention this at all, because the emotional response from my computer screwing up, always AMAZES me! ( is it just ME?)
When did I start having such a love affair with the frigin computer? When did this object become so important to my very existence? There is something SO WRONG with all of it...Yet just ANOTHER thing to join the list of already addictive behaviors....
I think that I previously mentioned that I gave up a very strong addiction to nicotine, a nightly habit of, what seems to be a lifetime, of a couple of glasses of wine (hmm..sometimes I still miss that one when I come home after a stressful workday..), but there are others....Say reading...Can't seem to go a day without doing a bit of pleasure reading, if nothing more, just before going to sleep (will even stay up later, when it's already late as hell...go figure) Can't seem to completely give up my newest addiction, that of grabbing a Strawberry Smoothie on the way out of work at night (unfortunately, it is right by the door that I go out of), and as far as this computer....well, don't think I even want to go into my complete and absolute addiction with it (hence, the overwhelming emotional response when it screws up...) Arrrgghhhhh! If there is one thing that I do not like about myself, it is my tendency towards ADDICTION!!!!!!!!!
Now that I have released that little rant, I shall go on to other happenings...
I have discovered quite late in life, (which is always amazing to me), that I LOVE Pediatrics...This is so amazing that most of my friends and former co-workers have not been able to bring themselves to believe it...I suppose they would need some sort of video proof...The fact is, that I have been a therapist for 27 years, and the thought of working with little ones, has not only frightened me beyond description, but I wouldn't even consider giving it a go...In the job I am currently working in (no, not full time...I wish...ain't gonna happen...these guys NEVER hire full time), sorry, I digress as usual , in this current work, I was MADE to orient in not only the Adult areas, but also the Pediatric areas....Of course, I complied, needing work as I do...Well low and behold, turns out not only do I like it, I LOVE IT!!! HATE working with their Adult section (not because of the Adults, but because of the way it is set up.)....The Pediatric area consists of mostly babies, some of whom are quite chronically ill....This patient population does not come without hardships...i.e. sometimes it is so sad to see some of these babies/children experiencing their horrific illnesses...i.e. putting up with the "We Are The Right Hand Of God" nurses, who are beyond unfriendly, and in fact somewhat Brutal to new employees that work in "their unit"...things like that...BUT...the rewards are overall worth it...These sweet little creatures (for the most part) are tough little guys, who somehow get through more that most of us could ever conceive of... They are so strong and loving...They are often accompanied by wonderful and admirable parents, who are a pleasure to get to know (conversely, there are angry and difficult ones as well...such is life) Anyway, suffice it to say that new and surprising things CAN happen that are nice and truly unexpected, and unbelievably, don't have anything to do with monetary wealth, upward mobility, or a new fabulous lover/partner, (now I am certainly not knocking any of these things, and would accept them in a heartbeat...just making a point!)
Now...on to a recipe...only because I am hungry, having not yet eaten today, though planning to have dinner out tonight with my son, whom I have not seen for 3 days...He works on the weekend, (soda jerk!), as I did, and it was the weekend he stays at his Dad's house...
I am craving a salad today, ( I adore salad), so I will post one of my favorites, from Ina Gartner, that is simple but so very delicious...I make this a lot....

Green Salad With Creamy Mustard Vinaigrette

Serves 6

3 TBSP. champagne vinegar
1/2 teasp. Dijon mustard
1/2 teasp. minced fresh garlic
1 extra-large egg yolk, at room temp (See note below***)
3/4 teasp. kosher salt
1/4 teasp. freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup good olive oil (this is where quality of olive oil is best appreciated)
Salad greens or mesclun mix for 6 people

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, garlic, egg yolk***, salt, and pepper. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified.
Toss the greens with enough dressing to moisten and serve immediately.

NOTE*** If you are worried about the raw egg, substitute 1 TBSP mayonnaise..I have done it, and it's great...I would use regular mayo for this
Also...When you are serving a salad like this for a group or a dinner party,(wow..do people even give these anymore?), you can put the vinaigrette in the bottom of a serving bowl and place the greens on top. This can sit for an hour or two until you are ready to toss and serve it...

No comments: