Friday, June 19, 2009

Last poem for Kerin


I was surprised a couple of week ago, when I arrived in a room at the hospital, to take care of

my "new patient" that had just arrived.

It was Kerin, the patient that I had taken care of at the previous hospital where I worked, the young woman with the very, very severe head injury, who I called "Cat woman" and wrote a previous poem about, here on my blog...It was written on 4/19 and was entitled, "Nowhere"

It affected me to see her, take care of her again, as she was so very much more unresponsive, and looked so much worse...I will not elaborate, because it is too much, believe me...

I think that this poem has somewhat helped me to put her to rest...

Some of it just takes a bit of time...Nothing that I have not had to deal with before...




Once Again, For Kerin

9/19/09


she came once
again

but didn't stay
long

she scared me
this time

her head

just so
wrong

how much
are you
going to
take from
this girl

whose left
all she's known
and is far
from this world?

why can't you
just stop and
leave her alone

allow her to
pass from this
world on her
own

I searched
too deeply
inside of
her tomb

The darkness
so frightening
the silence,
the doom

All dignity
lost
and the
whiteness
of light

the sound
of machines
from morning
to night

I gazed at the
photos

her cats....
there were three

She loved them
they've lost her

they wander
and grieve

I called her
"Cat woman"

her eyes
stuggled
so

just where
had I
come from?

but she
didn't
know

it's something
that I
simply
can't
understand

just why
are they
living?

My anger
demands!

it's horrid,
and tragic,
just how did
she rate,
this seemingly
lifeless and
nightmarish
state?

why can't she
just rest
like we all
hope to
do

when life
and its
struggles
are finally
through?

1 comment: