Sunday, February 8, 2009

I've always been intrigued by Oscar Wilde


I simply don't remember when I wasn't amazed by Oscar Wilde's mind.....He was terribly gifted and a victim of the Victorian Era's injustice, which ultimately caused his death...And what a horrible shame that was, for he was less than 50 years old, suffered greatly at the hands of an ignorant society, and it pisses me off as though it were yesterday! Whew...feel a little better now..sort of....Anyway, he is not, and hopefully will never be forgotten. His works, (plays, quotes, one novel) live on, and are still performed on a regular basis...Here are some of my favorite Oscar Wilde quotes..many of which I refer to when I need to smile, or just feel amazed by "clever", which is probably more often for me than most people...Love to entertain, and love to BE entertained!


Some of my favorite Oscar Wilde Quotes and some notes after them...(sorry..can't help it..)

"The basis of optimism is sheer terror." (so much for the "glass half full"), which personally has gotten a bit old for me the last few years, as everyone simply feels it necessary to state whether their's is half empty or full.....And don't think I haven't been asked that in an interview...shameless silly questions!!!!!!!!Anyway, Oscar knew about the glass half full silliness!

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. "....Well, of course I have been ascribing to this for years!

"Thirty-five is a very attractive age. London society is full of women of the highest birth who have, of their own free choice, remained thirty-five for years." Do you know that I actually have a friend, that will not tell anyone her age? She is younger than I am, very attractive, and would not tell her age if her life depended on it...I just don't get it....

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes."...This is so true, God forbid that we should label something a mistake...It seems that every time I have tried to, and there have certainly been my share of "times", no one will allow me to call a mistake, a mistake! "Well that is how we learn!"..Bullshit..I refuse to believe that we must crack our heads open to learn anything...Seriously..Have you noticed this trend in our society? It's really kind of weird...

"It is better to be beautiful than to be good. But ... it is better to be good than to be ugly"...Well of course, this one goes to show us that in hundereds of years some things will never change...

"The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young.".....This one I am truly familiar with, as it is something that my Mother has told me for the last 10 years or so...This is a sad and inevitable little truth for everyone if they live long enough...The fact that the outward appearance and body mechanics decline, has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that we may still have young, curious attitudes or mindsets...this of course, is a choice...I know people younger than I am that appear so much older because of their "mindsets".. A most unfortunate fact is that Americans do not tend to treat the elderly very well...This is certainly not true in other countries...So maybe the answer is that we should grow up here, and then move to Europe...Hmmm..but then there would be no family/friends...Besides, if you took your family they would have been raised with the American attitude towards the Elderly, and that would mean you would just be treated like crap when you moved to Europe! No this is obviously not the answer!...Have to think on that one....

Well...that is what is on my mind, along with about 12 other things (which I will spare the world) tonite....
Goodnight..

No comments: